Traditional password/basic authentication
Passwords are a huge part of our daily lives today, be it work or personal. Every app, website, and account requires them for security. However, with more and more passwords needed many people tend to use the same repeatedly or with very similar versions. Add into the mix that you are then asked to update them ever so often it gets more and more confusing for the end-user. This can quickly become a security risk.
For many years, the only access to your network was via a router and through a firewall, as most employees worked from a desktop. As technology has evolved, with the use of mobile devices and laptops to access cloud platforms, networks can be accessed from anywhere in the world, with a username and password. This means that the biggest threat to networks is now from individual identity.
15 years ago, Bill Gates predicted the death of traditional password security. With cyber threats becoming more prevalent, new ways to protect your identity, accounts and business networks need to be added in, we can no longer rely on basic authentication of email and password to access accounts.
MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication)
Multi-Factor Authentication is an added layer of security, in addition to the email and password, without it access is denied. This one-time password (OTP) is a unique number usually via text, or authenticator code app. Only the recipient of this OTP can log in – minimising fraudulent access.
What is Microsoft doing and how will this affect you?
From October 2022, Microsoft will abolish basic authentication on its platforms and enforce MFA on all end users. Reducing risk to networks and data.
Every time users log in to M365 or any other Microsoft platform, in addition to the email and password normally used, a code will need to be entered for access. This code will be received via text or authenticator app.
How will MPR support you through this change?
As a Microsoft Certified Partner, MPR IT Solutions is here to assist in securing your network in preparation for Multi-Factor Authentication. Our engineers will lead an audit of your network and discuss the available options to enhance the security of your M365. In addition to MFA, there are further security services and tools that are available to help secure your business against cyber criminals.
½ Day of Time – £300 + VAT
- 1hr Consultatation with an Engineer
- 2hr’s Implementation changes within M365 tenancies
- 1hr Post Amendment Troubleshooting
Optional Costs – £15.63
- 15 mins per User assisting MFA deployment.
Additional option to upgrade to M365 Premium Licence for additional security services and tools – £16.60 per user per month.
Advanced Security included above Business Standard Licence (subject to configuration on your individual requirements)
- Help protect against sophisticated threats hidden in email attachments and links, and get cutting-edge defences against zero-day threats, ransomware, and other advanced malware attempts with Microsoft Defender for Office 365.
- Remotely wipe company data from lost or stolen devices with Selective Wipe from Intune.
- Restrict copying or saving of company information to unauthorized apps and locations with App protection for Office mobile apps.
- Control who has access to company information by applying restrictions like Do Not Copy and Do Not Forward with Information Rights Management.
- Apply policies that provide pre-breach threat resistance in Windows 11 and Windows 10 with attack surface reduction and exploit protection capabilities.
- Enforce malware protection to help keep your Windows 11 and Windows 10 devices safe from viruses, spyware, and other malicious software with Microsoft Defender Antivirus.
Device Management included above Business Standard Licence
- Configure security features and settings on Windows 11 and Windows 10 PCs and mobile devices running iOS or Android® with an easy-to-use setup wizard.
- Use simplified controls to manage policies applied to Windows 11 and Windows 10 PCs.
- Automatically deploy the Office apps to Windows 11 and Windows 10 PCs.
- Configure your PCs to automatically install Office, Windows 11 and Windows 10 updates.
- Apply security policies to protect business data on all your devices, including iOS, Android®, and Windows PCs with Mobile Device Management from Intune
To book your consultation with our engineers please contact us on 0800 030 20 30. We strongly recommend that you do not delay, to ensure that our team is able to make these changes ahead of the deadline. After 21st October 2022, without MFA you will not be able to access M365 including your emails.
WITH THE BEST WILL IN THE WORLD, WE CAN NOT ACCOMMODATE ALL OUR CUSTOMERS IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, THEREFORE WE NEED TO MANAGE THIS PROJECT ACCORDINGLY.
Links to articles regarding password security:
Links to National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), that you may find useful:
MPR IT Solutions support a variety of businesses that operate outside of our general office hours of 08.30 – 17.30, Monday to Friday. Businesses operating longer hours include those in the manufacturing, hospitality, and leisure industries. With an increase in requests for additional support, we are pleased to announce that for those requiring support out of our general hours we are now able to offer a monthly add-on to extend support hours. This is in addition to our usual monthly support contracts and is not automatically included.
Extended hours support from 06.00 -22.00, seven days a week, with engineers available to answer calls and provide support for an additional monthly cost to an existing contract.
As option 1, ad-hoc support to existing customers that are unlikely to require out-of-hours support on a regular basis for an hourly rate.
Please note we continue to offer out-of-hours support for Business Critical situations where applicable. (Business Critical means loss that indirectly impacts a Mission Critical function, or directly impacts a business unit’s primary function.)
All of our out-of-hours support is provided on a best-effort basis and as with our day-to-day support, requests will be prioritised according to the nature of the support required.
If you would like more information on our extended hours’ additional service please contact our Sales team on 0800 030 20 30 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org